Monday, January 19, 2009

THIS is why I love Oak Leaf

When I was eating dinner Friday night with my mom, grandparents and some of their friends, the topic of the conversation became about the church that one of the other couples went to. the big story...someone had sat in their seats. Apparently they have been sitting there, in the same spot, for a very long time. Upon this couple sitting there, my grandmother's friends sat in the row behind them. So, for the last two months, these two couple have been racing each other to the service every Sunday so they could have these two seats. Their entire Sunday's have been consumed by two seats! This has gotten so bad that at their Christmas party, the pastor had to say something.

I am so thankful for Oak Leaf. I can't possibly thank God for letting me a part of this church. I have never once been mad when someone sat in the seat I sat in the week before, and I have never the entire time I have been at Oak Leaf heard any of the pastors say anything about something so petty. I am so proud that Oak Leaf will do anything to help people become closer to God. I am so proud that I can be a part of the church that will do anything to reach people that other churches see as unreachable. I am so proud that I am part of a church that welcomes everyone with open arms. I am so proud to be part of a church where teenagers will give up a seat to sit on the floor when an adult gets there after the theater is packed.

This is why I love Oak Leaf. This is why no matter how many times my grandmother refuses to give the church a chance, that I still continue to ask her to go. This is why no matter how much smack people talk that I will forever defend this church and what God is doing there. This is why no matter how many times people look at me and wonder why in the world I could go to "that church" I will tell them that I am closer to God than I have ever been before.

No comments: